Robert is an associate in our Technology, Intellectual Property and Privacy team.
His practice includes advising on all aspects of data protection, privacy and data security laws. He has worked with (including by in-house secondments) a number of social media, messaging and professional networking multinationals gaining an in depth understanding of complex data privacy, data flow and contract structures. His practice includes providing compliance training; policy strategy and implementation and data breach management (including interactions with data subjects and the supervisory authority).
Robert works with Irish and international clients advising on IP protection, commercialisation and licensing, often working closely with tax advisors on tax driven IP structures with multi-jurisdiction licensing. Robert is an Irish solicitor and an Irish and European Trade Mark and Design Attorney.
He advises on all types of contracts including sourcing arrangements, software development, support and licensing arrangements; distribution and agency contracts; e-contracts; and website/app terms of sale and service. Robert also advises on Irish consumer laws; product regulation, commercial agency, prize promotions and betting laws.
Recent Speaking Engagements
- IAPF Annual Governance Conference – What’s coming next? The things trustees should be worrying about (GDPR)
- Charities Institute of Ireland Annual Conference – GDPR for charities
- Enterprise Ireland New Frontiers Programme – Ecommerce and Data Protection
- Law Society of Ireland – Anatomy of a Contract
- Advising social media and messaging giants on complex data protection issues, including international data processing and transfer arrangements, online sales, product regulation and advertising law.
- Advising global social network platforms on Irish privacy structures, international law enforcement requests, contract law and security of network and information systems.
- GDPR data mapping and gap analysis for financial institutions;
- ePrivacy direct marketing strategies for one of Ireland’s largest retailers, including advising on legacy consents and implications under GDPR and upcoming e-Privacy Regulation;
- Advising Irish and international clients on data breach measures and interactions with supervisory authority.
Technology and Contracts
- Advising social media giant on Irish rules for online contracts, including contractual incorporation, capacity to contract, unfair terms, implied conditions and warranties.
- Advising Irish government department on contract, IP and data protection aspects of large procurement project.
- Advising an Irish bank on e-commerce rules for financial services, consumer laws, enforceability of electronic signatures.
- Advising global online retailers on Irish e-commerce and consumer laws, including various online business terms and other policies, and selective distribution arrangements.
- Advising multinational food manufacturers on distribution and supply arrangements.
- Commercial agency advices for various industry sectors;
- Supporting multi-national energy suppliers with contract drafting and negotiation, data protection and intellectual property advices.
- Advising various industry sectors on prize promotions, gaming and betting.
- Advising on IP structures, reorganisations, protection and licensing arrangements
- Advising on commercial and IP licensing aspects of multinational tax driven IP structures
- Trade mark portfolio management for Irish and international companies.
- Advising on all aspects of the lifecycle of Irish trade marks and EUTMs.
- Advising on due diligence and acquisition of IP rights in mergers, acquisitions and investment.
- Advising one of Ireland’s largest food manufacturers and other foreign multi-nationals on inter-group licensing arrangements of Irish held IP rights.
- Data insights licensing arrangements for one of Ireland’s largest banks
- e-Signature rules under Irish laws and eIDAS Regulation for one of Ireland’s largest financial institutions
- Advising an Irish bank on e-commerce rules for financial services, consumer laws, enforceability of electronic signatures;
- Advising Irish financial institution on complex licensing arrangements for Know Your Client software
- Advising insurance undertakings on GDPR compliance
- Confidentiality and trade secrets training for one of Ireland’s largest banks
- Advising multinational software vendor in respect of licensing arrangements with large financial institution
- Managing dataroom non-disclosure and data protection aspects of loan portfolio sales.