He specialises in complex disputes in the construction, property, insurance and professional services sectors.
In the last few years he has acted in a number of large scale and high value cases before the Irish and English courts. He also advises clients in adjudication, mediation and other forms of alternative dispute resolution.
Ian has particular expertise in advising London-based insurers on policy coverage issues and disputes before the Irish courts. He practised at a leading insurance law firm in London for seven years prior to joining LK Shields.
He regularly speaks at seminars and delivers training to clients on topical issues relevant to his practice areas.
- Managing the defences of hundreds of product liability claims against an Irish quarry operator in the Irish High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court.
- Representing the successful defendant geotechnical engineer in BDW Trading Limited v Integral Geotechnique (Wales) Limited, a widely reported English High Court case concerning the scope of a professional’s duty of care to third parties
- Defending one of the UK’s largest multidisciplinary consultants in an adjudication where it was alleged that deficiencies in the client’s design caused a significant overspend on a fixed-fee project.
- Representing the successful party in Commercial Management (Investments) Limited v Mitchell Design & Construct Limited, a seminal English High Court case clarifying the terms and use of limitation clauses in construction contracts.
- Acting for an estate agent in the defence of a High Court claim for specific performance of a contract and advising its professional indemnity insurers on policy coverage issues.
- Defending a firm of building energy assessors in a four party dispute involving allegations of unfair market advantage allegedly gained as a result of misleading advertising facilitated by the building energy assessors, who were the clients.
- Acting for affordable housing consultants in a £10 million claim brought by a property developer against its nine professional advisors following a compulsory purchase order.
- Acting for the public liability insurers of a building contractor in a dispute with the contractor’s professional indemnity insurers and insurance brokers, regarding which policy should respond to a six figure claim.
- Defending an earthworks contractor in a £10 million tripartite claim brought by a major multinational building contractor concerning damage to a school allegedly caused by expansive aggregate.
- Acting for dozens of plaintiffs in High Court group litigation arising from the recall of a defective medical product.