We have the resources and experience to assist with deals of all sizes and levels of complexity, from small-budget, indie films to large, international co-productions and everything in between.
Our clients also have the added benefit of our highly experienced trade mark lawyers, who can advise on matters such as brand protection and enforcement.
Our Corporate team works with buying and selling media companies and assets (for example, film and music catalogues and related assets). We have been involved in some of the largest media transactions involving Irish entities.
Our Competition team has specialist expertise in advising on the Competition law aspects of media mergers; Marco Hickey, head of the Competition team is the author of 'Merger Control in Ireland’, which includes a stand-alone chapter on media mergers.
Our dedicated Employment, Real Estate and Litigation teams can also provide assistance, where needed.
- Advising the producers of a US reality TV show being launched in the EU.
- Advising on distribution deals and ancillary matters for big-budget, feature-length films.
- Assisting with an Option and Assignment Agreement on behalf of a producer acquiring rights to a well-known biography.
- Advising various studios in relation to a new online streaming and DVD platform.
- Advising on development and production matters relating to an adaptation of a film screenplay for a six-part TV series.
- Advising several media platforms available in Ireland in relation to media, IP and AVMS compliance.
- Drafting film industry agreements including advising on location and distribution arrangements.
- Advising a studio on the acquisition of TV rights.
- Preparing and negotiating documents relating to a development finance deal for an independent film set in the Middle East.
- Advising on all legal production matters, from financing and location arrangements to post-production and distribution, in relation to a small-budget, feature-length film.
- Advising Suir Valley Ventures on an investment in War Ducks, the creator of the Sneaky Bears.
- Advising bands on publishing, recording and merchandise deals, including publishing deals with BMG (UK) and Sony Music Entertainment.
- Acting for a well-known pop star on the negotiations for his participation in a reunion tour.
- Advising a well-known indie band on its deal with a large international clothing retailer for the promotion of a clothing range.
- Acting for Communicorp Group Limited in the sale of AS Radio SWH Latvia to Cinnamon Holding OU, an Estonian-based entertainment company.
- Acting for national radio station, Newstalk, in a state aid complaint to the European Commission concerning the state broadcaster, RTÉ.
- Acting for Communicorp Group Limited in relation to its participation in Media Central.
- Conducting libel reviews of publications.
- Advising News UK in respect of possible defamation claims against the Sunday World and against various members of staff in ROI.
- Advising on copyright law issues in publishing industry, including for authors and publishers, as well as multi-jurisdiction joint publication arrangements.
- Assisting with an Option and Assignment Agreement on behalf of a film producer acquiring rights to a well-known biography.
- Advising Trinity Mirror in relation to a proposed acquisition of certain regional titles.
- Acting for Independent News and Media in a joint venture arrangement involving Offscript Studio Limited.
- Advising leading art galleries, auction houses and museum on art law issues, including copyright, droit-de-suite, provenance disputes, and event management issues.