We have the resources and experience to assist with deals of all sizes and levels of complexity, from small-budget, indie films to large, international co-productions; section 481 film relief advice; broadcast and on-demand regulatory advice (including AVMS); music recording, publishing and sync arrangements; and branding and merchandise.
We have worked with a wide variety of national and international film and TV companies and have garnered a great understanding of industry business requirements.
We understand that responsiveness is key for our media and entertainment clients, and we work with our clients to progress and conclude deals efficiently. We take a common sense, pragmatic approach when advising our clients. Whilst we always work to ensure that we achieve the best outcome for our clients, we do not make things unnecessarily complicated.
Our clients also have the added benefit of our highly experienced trade mark lawyers, who can advise on matters such as trade mark protection and enforcement. Our Corporate and Competition teams are on hand to assist with buying and selling media companies and assets (for example, film and music catalogues and related assets) as well as media mergers. Our dedicated Employment, Real Estate and Litigation teams can also provide assistance, where needed.
We also have a wide range of experience in Media investments and M&A transactions, including:
- Advising Suir Valley Ventures on an investment in War Ducks;
- Acting for Communicorp in the acquisition of Emap plc’s Irish radio assets, Today FM, FM 104 and Highland Radio which, at a value of €200 million, is the largest radio deal ever completed in Ireland;
- Acting in the sale of FM 104 to UTV Plc;
- Acting for the vendors of Channel 6 in relation to its sale to TV3;
- Acting for national radio station, Newstalk, in a state aid complaint to the European Commission concerning the state broadcaster, RTÉ;
- Advising Trinity Mirror in relation to a proposed acquisition of certain regional titles;
- Acting for Independent News and Media in a joint venture arrangement involving Offscript Studio Limited.
This knowledge and experience coupled with our convenient locations in Dublin, London and Galway means we are well positioned to assist you on your next project.
- Advising on all legal production matters, from development (including Option and Assignment arrangements), financing (including s.481 advice) and production and talent arrangements, to post-production and distribution
- Advising on international and domestic co-production arrangements
- Advising on the Irish television broadcast and on-demand regulatory regimes
- Advising on film sales agency and distribution deals
- Advising several media platforms available in Ireland in relation to media, IP and AVMS compliance.
- Advising various studios in relation to a new online streaming and DVD platform
- Advising the producers of a US reality TV show being launched in the EU
- Advising on development and production matters relating to an adaptation of a film screenplay for a six-part TV series
- Advising bands on publishing, recording and merchandise deals, including publishing deals with BMG (UK) and Sony Music Entertainment
- Conducting libel reviews of scripts and print and online publications
- Advising on copyright law issues in publishing industry, including for authors and publishers, as well as multi-jurisdiction joint publication arrangements
- Advising leading art galleries, auction houses and museum on art law issues, including copyright, droit-de-suite, provenance disputes, and event management issues