We have the resources and experience to assist with deals of all sizes and levels of complexity, from small-budget, indie films to large, international co-productions and everything in between.
Our clients also have the added benefit of our highly experienced trade mark lawyers, who can advise on matters such as brand protection and enforcement.
Our Corporate team works with buying and selling media companies and assets (for example, film and music catalogues and related assets). We have been involved in some of the largest media transactions involving Irish entities.
Our Competition team has specialist expertise in advising on the Competition law aspects of media mergers; Marco Hickey, head of the Competition team is the author of 'Merger Control in Ireland’, which includes a stand-alone chapter on media mergers.
Our dedicated Employment, Real Estate and Litigation teams can also provide assistance, where needed.
- Advising on distribution deals and ancillary matters for big-budget, feature-length films.
- Assisting with an Option and Assignment Agreement on behalf of a producer acquiring rights to a well-known biography.
- Advising various studios in relation to a new online streaming and DVD platform.
- Advising on all legal production matters, from financing and location arrangements to post-production and distribution, in relation to a small-budget, feature-length film.
- Preparing and negotiating documents relating to a development finance deal for an independent film set in the Middle East.
- Drafting film industry agreements including advising on location and distribution arrangements.
- Advising Suir Valley Ventures on an investment in War Ducks, the creator of the Sneaky Bears.
- Advising the producers of a US reality TV show being launched in the EU.
- Advising on development and production matters relating to an adaptation of a film screenplay for a six-part TV series.
- We acted for the vendors of Channel 6 in relation to its sale to TV3.
- Acting for Jankie Glass in the sale of Karib Cable to Columbus International Inc.
- Advising several media platforms available in Ireland in relation to media, IP and AVMS compliance.
- Advising a studio on the acquisition of TV rights.
- Advising bands on publishing, recording and merchandise deals, including publishing deals with BMG (UK) and Sony Music Entertainment.
- Acting for a well-known pop star on the negotiations for his participation in a reunion tour.
- Advising a well-known indie band on its deal with a large international clothing retailer for the promotion of a clothing range.
- We acted for Communicorp in the acquisition of Emap plc’s Irish radio assets, Today FM, FM 104 and Highland Radio. At a value of €200 million it is the largest radio deal that has ever been completed in Ireland. We also acted in the subsequent sale of FM 104 to UTV Plc and sale of Highland Radio to Orangold Limited.
- We acted for Communicorp in the acquisition of radio stations in Finland, Hungary, Bulgaria and Estonia and Czech Republic from Metromedia International Telecommunications Inc.
- We acted for Communicorp in the sale of the Metroradio Finland Oy and Mediasales Finland Oy to Sanoma Entertainment Limited.
- We acted for Communicorp in the sale of Estonian radio company, AS Trio LSL to AS Eesti Meedia.
- We acted for Communicorp in the sale of Czech radio companies, MII Praha sro and Radio Investments sro to GES Media Group.
- We acted for Communicorp in the sale of Ukranian radio stations, PJSC Nashe Radio and TRK Dyvosvit LLC to United Media Holdings
- We acted for Communicorp in the sale of AS Radio SWH Latvia to Cinamon Holding OU, an Estonian based entertainment company
- Acting for national radio station, Newstalk, in a state aid complaint to the European Commission concerning the state broadcaster, RTÉ.
- Conducting libel reviews of publications.
- Advising News UK in respect of possible defamation claims against the Sunday World and against various members of staff in ROI.
- Advising on copyright law issues in publishing industry, including for authors and publishers, as well as multi-jurisdiction joint publication arrangements.
- Assisting with an Option and Assignment Agreement on behalf of a film producer acquiring rights to a well-known biography.
- Advising Trinity Mirror in relation to a proposed acquisition of certain regional titles.
- Acting for Independent News and Media in a joint venture arrangement involving Offscript Studio Limited.
- Advising leading art galleries, auction houses and museum on art law issues, including copyright, droit-de-suite, provenance disputes, and event management issues.