LK Shields Solicitors has been involved in several of the recent and most significant energy and natural resource sector developments in Ireland.
The team has the expertise and experience to ensure that clients comprehend and comply with the ever-changing legislative environment.
With an excellent reputation in the niche area of wind farms, we have acted for developers of wind farms both in Ireland and overseas, including the largest private renewable energy provider in the State. We have also been involved in a number of CHP projects, district heating schemes, waste management projects and tyre recycling projects, reflecting our reputational growth in this area.
Given the current consolidation in the market, we have more recently been involved in a number of high-profile mergers and acquisitions in the energy area.
The Energy & Natural Resources Unit offers services in the following areas including:
- Fundraising for energy companies, including both wind farm and solar farm projects
- Energy sector regulation at both domestic and EU level (regulatory compliance)
- Development of major infrastructure projects including renewals, energy projects and joint venture agreements
- Project finance (acting for both borrowers and financial institutions)
- Wind farm projects
- Combined heat and power plants
- Waste recycling plants
- Real property, environmental and planning issues
- Electricity supply and connection contracts
- Energy components of mergers and acquisitions
- Geothermal energy legislation
- District heating schemes
- Cleantech energy technology
- Data privacy issues involving smart metering
- We acted for CLG Developments Limited in the establishment of a joint venture with the Balfour Beatty group which entered into a €400 million plus long term contract for the provision of supply and maintenance services to the Bord Gáis network.
- We acted for the owners of Sorne Wind Limited in the development of a 38.9 MW wind farm and the onward sale once completed to Bord Gáis Eireann. We continue to act for a number of other wind farm developers.
- We have acted for companies such as Island Renewable Energy and GT Energy Limited in investment funding rounds.
- We acted for Airtricity in all aspects of the Coomatallin and Richfield Wind Farm Projects.
- We acted for the seller in the sale of Topaz Energy Group Limited and Esso Ireland Limited.
- We act for companies active in mineral exportation in Ireland and advise on mining licence issues.
- We advised Star Energy plc and Petronas in relation to the acquisition of Marathon Oil Ireland Limited and Marathon Seven Heads Limited and the related option arrangements entered into with Providence Resources. The assets sold included the Kinsale Head area comprising Kinsale Head South West Kinsale and the Ballycotton Gas Fields, as well as the Seven Heads Fields and related gas storage business.
- We act for a number of companies active in the Irish oil market - such as Tedcastles Oil Products one of the state’s largest distributors of oil products with a network of service stations who we advise on their day to day commercial and regulatory needs.
- We continue to act for energy and facilities management company, Veolia Group, in providing advice on the areas of district heating schemes, the operation and maintenance of CHP plants and on a number of acquisitions in the energy area.
- We advised Belmore Resources on mining issues in Ireland and on a placing of shares with Lundin Mining Corporation Limited.
- We acted for Biopower plc in relation to its public offering to raise funds for biomass recycling centres.
- We advised Braemer Energy Ventures LP in a VC investment in Powervation, a company active in cleantech electronic systems technology.
- We acted for Ikon Semiconductor Limited in relation to an equity investment by BVP Investments Limited as manager of the 5th Simple.ie Green Employment & Incentive Investment Scheme Fund.
- We have advised GT Energy Limited on legislative issues relevant to geothermal energy in Ireland.
- We have advised Vayu, one of the larger purchasers of energy in the State for onward distribution, on the drafting and negotiation of their power purchase agreements.