David focuses his practice on investment fund formation, debt capital markets, financial services regulatory advice and insurance advisory matters. He primarily represents institutional and entrepreneurial investment managers, financial services firms and private investment funds in all aspects of their business.
David’s experience includes structuring investment management firms, hedge funds, private equity funds, hybrid funds and funds of funds; and structuring and negotiating seed and strategic investments. He frequently advises fund clients in the ESG and fintech spaces and is developing expertise in digital asset fund structures.
David also acts for Irish and international issuers, originators, lead managers, arrangers, rating agencies and trustees on some of the most complex debt capital market issuances.
He regularly advises investment management firms and their principals on financial services regulatory compliance.
David also advises insurance and reinsurance companies, as well as intermediaries, on all aspects of their business including portfolio transfers, and regulatory matters.
David is an active industry participant and contributes regularly to thought leadership pieces in leading Ireland based and international legal publications and journals. He is also a frequent conference speaker and has delivered lectures on financial services law for the Law Society of Ireland. He holds several senior positions on steering groups for Irish Funds and AIMA.
- Advised a wide range of clients across private equity, credit, infrastructure and real estate in relation to structuring of private funds, the Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive and SFDR, and the global marketing of investment funds.
- Advised on the structuring, establishment and launch of a new life settlements fund as a QIAIF, authorised by the Central Bank of Ireland as an ICAV vehicle with one initial sub-fund. A transition from a previously established section 110 company to the ICAV was then completed, whereby noteholders and applicants of the section 110 company transferred their notes and/or commitment to the ICAV and subscribed for shares in the ICAV’s sub-fund.
- Advised a promoter on the authorisation of a QIAIF ILP by the Central Bank of Ireland. The QIAIF ILP is the first regulated investment fund in Ireland to be able to qualify for the Employment Investment Incentive Scheme.
- Advised issuers on multi-series secured notes programmes, secured loan note programmes, debt securities note programmes and green bond secured note programmes.
- Advised a manager on a secured loan note programme for real estate investment. We were involved in structuring the investment from a regulatory perspective.
- Advised a manager on the structuring of a debt securities note programme investing in life settlement policies.
- Advised various clients on the establishment of new financial services firms in Ireland, involving applications for authorisation by the Central Bank of Ireland, to include fund administrators, management companies and MiFID firms.
- Advised on the conduct of financial services regulatory due diligence in relation to the acquisition of regulated financial services businesses and the negotiation of regulatory approval for changes of control with the Central Bank of Ireland in connection with such transactions.
- Advised a France headquartered investment firm on the application of an affiliate for authorisation by the Central Bank of Ireland as a payments institution.